The BAJ was formed to provide professional leadership for the financial managers and heads of support services of educational institutions, thus enhancing effectiveness, success and improved efficiency.
In 2001 The Caribbean Business Forum headed by Mr. Len Davidson hosted the first Caribbean Bursars Conference at the Jamaica Conference Centre, Kingston Jamaica. Participants included Bursars, Financial Managers and Secretary Treasurers from Barbados, Cayman Island, St Vincent and the Grenadines and Jamaica.
At the end of this conference, Mr. Basil Powell, Bursar of Morant Bay High School moved a motion for the Bursars to organize themselves into an association. This motion was unanimously accepted and a steering committee chaired by Mr. Kofi Nkrumah-Young, then Director of Finance at University of Technology, was established.
Today the Association, which has over 250 members, is a registered non-profit organization owned by its members, with the Annual General meeting being the supreme authority, however, the Executive is responsible for conducting the affairs of the Association between annual general meetings, subject to the rules and regulations of its constitution.
To be recognized as the Association of Professional School Business Managers.
- To enhance professionalism among School Business Managers. To this end we:
- Maintain and uphold ethical and professional standards
- Protect the welfare of our members
- Provide networking and training opportunities.
CODE OF ETHICS
- Makes the well-being of students the fundamental value in all decision making and actions.
- Fulfills professional responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
- Implements the governing Boards’ policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Pursues appropriate measures to correct laws, policies and regulations, that are not consistent with sound financial accounting.
- Avoid using positions for personal gain through political, social, religious, economic or other influences.
- Maintain the standards of conduct and seek to improve the effectiveness of the profession through research and continuing professional development.
PROGRAMMES AND ACTIVITIES OF BAJ
Training and Development
Workshops held include:
- Project Management
- NCTVET/HEART level 2
- Inventory Management
- Procurement Procedures
- Cash Book Management
- Time Management
- Segregation of Duties & Internal Controls
- 2017 National Civil Honors & Awards- 4 Awardees
- 2016 National Civil Honours & Awards- 4 Awardees
- BAJ Over 25YEARS Award
- Region 6 Banquet & Awards
- Region 2 Banquet & Awards
- Sunbeam Boys home
- Annual Christmas treat
- Annual Back to school Treat
- Motivational sessions
- Region 1 Maxfield Boys Home Project
- Region 2 St Thomas Infirmary Project
- Region 5 St. Elizabeth Infirmary Project
- Programme started in 2014 - providing support to members and their families during illnesses, death or other difficult periods.
- Over 30 members have received financial grants to date
Since 2004, BAJ has hosted 9 Annual Bursars’ Conference
- Barbados hosted in 2008
- Len Davidson Hosted from 2000-2003